Monday, April 15, 2013

My First "First" at Fisk Knob

I made the jump a few weeks ago and bought a real TT bike (Cervelo P2), and so, I need to race lots of time trials and justify my purchase. The first TT of the year is Fisk Knob, north of Grand Rapids in Cedar Springs. It's a race known historically for bad weather due to being held so early in spring. Weather has been pretty brutal, no doubt, but we Hagerati do not let that bother us. Susan Donnelly, Jake Ellis, and I left early in the morning, driving through snow covered roads and fog to race. The forecast had snow and rain in it, but as we got closer we actually saw the sun rise and some blue sky. An owl even flew by as we were driving, that is always cool to see! It was still cold though, about 39 degrees, but warmer than my last race at Barry that was 29 degrees.
Pretty awesome helmet, thanks Kim Thomas!

We got there pretty early, even before registration opened. It gave us time to preview the course though, so it was good. I really do not like rushing around before a race so being early is always ok with me. Driving over the course I realized that it was a lot hillier than I imagined it would be. I had only taken out my new bike once on the road, and it wasn't over any hills, so I was a bit intimidated. When you are in the aero bars, you don't have quick access to the brakes. I was also a bit worried about my bike set up. I had been tweaking it and tweaking it but it wasn't still feeling quite right. I was ready though to just give it my best and see what happened.

I warmed up quickly, not feeling the cold at all, and was getting excited to race. We lined up and we had 5 category 3 women racing. I have raced all these fine women before, and they are all great people and great racers. We were sent off 30 seconds apart, one at a time, and the best part of a time trial is that it is just you against the clock. No strategy, no technical skills, just go as fast as you can. It's often called the "race of truth."
At the start line

Well, the start is on a big downhill, so it was time to just go for it and I sunk down into the aero bars and started pedaling and going faster and faster. It was such a blast! No fear at all here, just the rush of wind and speed-better than any roller coaster. I was going 38 mph at the bottom, and that is from a stand still at the top of the hill. Pretty awesome. A long, slow rise to the first turn, and I just kept hammering it, but feeling controlled at the same time. The rest of the course was a few more rollers before a flat section at the turn around. The rollers were fun and I did my best to go as fast as I could going down them, and was finding myself spinning out of my highest gear. Kind of cool to think I could have gone even faster if I had a bigger gear!
Top of the hill and finished!

I was amazed to find that I was passing people. I started realizing that this may be a good day for me! Everything was clicking just right. A unique feeling, indeed, but very awesome when it happens. The last climb back up that starting hill was brutal. I gave it everything I had to just keep pedaling as hard as I could and not pay attention to my quads that were screaming. Gasping at the top of the hill, I was done, and pleased with my ride.  Not too much later, it started snowing pretty hard. Sooo happy that it wasn't snowing during my race!

1st place Cat 3 women
After results came in it was clear that we had a mini-van full of winners. I placed first for the first time in a race. Sue got 2nd in her category of Master's women, and would have came in second in cat 4 women as well. Jake got second in Cat 3 men. Craig Webb and Steve Andries also from Hagerty won their categories. We were all pretty happy and deemed the day a success as well as a lot of fun. I haven't spent a lot of time with Jake before, and I have to say, he really knows his stuff. If you need any advice regarding anything race or training related, I would go visit him at Brick Wheels.
Sue Donnelly 2nd place Master's
Jake Ellis 2nd Place cat 3 men










Thanks to all the volunteers who shivered in the cold to help and the people at 42-85 who took this race that was in danger of not being held and making it a success. Thanks to Keith Conway and Brigit for taking pictures! And thanks also to Chris Fisher, my coach who has helped me get through this never ending winter. Full results are here.

1 comment: