Monday, May 27, 2013

Arcadia Grit and Gravel 2013

I was originally scheduled for the West Michigan Stage Race the weekend of Arcadia Grit and Gravel, but WMSR was cancelled. That was a really fun race last year, and I was looking forward to the time trial, so I was disappointed. I decided to do a local mountain bike race instead. Arcadia has a beautiful, fast, flowy trail that I have ridden a few times and love. I registered for Elite women, and despite knowing I am not great at single track...there were some miles of gravel road that I thought might be my saving grace, so I thought I would give it a try.

The weather was great the morning of, and there were some great ladies there racing. Sue Stephens and Erin Vicary were there from team GRIT, Lauri Brockmiller my teammate from Hagerty, Chelsea Strate from Einstein, and Kati Krikke from Freewheelers.  All great racers!

We started along with the Elite Men and in the first mile or so we had paved road and the pace was easy. We turned onto the first gravel road that had a few hills off the bat and the race was on. Lauri took off and I saw Sue go as well. I slowly made some progress on the hill and came out on the top behind Lauri, Sue, and Kati. I could see Sue up the road and asked Kati if she wanted to work together to try to catch her. We took turns pulling and I wondered how we could get by her without her catching on. I didn't time it very well, and when we caught her there was a turn with a descent and I thought that it was now or never. I thought since I am bigger I might be able to drop her here but she just tucked in behind me and took the ride down the hill. I think I topped out at 38 mph down that hill. :)

I let Sue work and we eventually caught up to Lauri and rode together for awhile. We had another long, gradual climb on the gravel road and stayed together. We took a left on the flats again and were cruising down the gravel roads pretty fast, with Sue out front. I was third in line when it seemed to me that Sue slammed on her brakes and then Lauri reacted, and then I had less time to react. I didn't realize there was a turn coming up, I didn't hear any call out for it, and from where I was couldn't see any signage. I thought someone's tire may have even blown. Needless to say it was pretty sketchy with an almost crash along with some words. Sue took off on her bike with Lauri following hot on her tail. I entered the single track determined to hang on as long as I could. 

Lauri had a great race and came in second for Hagerty.
Sue and Erin came in 1st and 3rd.
It wasn't long before they were out of sight and I was riding alone. Some expert men started coming through, then Kati Krikke, and my timing was off again and I wasn't riding smooth. I started pulling over to let others go by- pretty much the entire race. The woods were beautiful with Trillium in bloom, but all I felt was irritation and frustration. One by one all of the women passed me. After the 10 miles of single track I finally emptied out into the gravel roads again and took off. I was able to take back one position before the finish. 

What I did like about this race was that it was smaller and more intimate than a lot of races I have done. Sitting and enjoying a beer after with lots of friends from Traverse City was great. You can't get a much more beautiful venue than Arcadia either. 

It has been said Nora is better at
 singletrack than me. Could be true!
I decided I need to get a lot better riding single track before I race it again. We went back to Arcadia today to ride as a family, and to enjoy the trillium at a slower pace. Gavin and Russ went off on their own, and I rode with Nora on the short Chestnut Loop. Nora is a force, and I am sure she is going to be a great rider someday!

Thanks to Endoman Productions for a great race!


No comments:

Post a Comment