Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mud, Sweat, and Beers 2012

First big race of the season and my first race in Expert Class! It was a big day, and after scouting the rumored single track portions earlier in the week, I felt that I was ready as I ever was gonna be. Not a fast single track rider, I realized the race had changed a lot. If it would affect my time was debatable, as they took out two of the biggest hill sections and I don't exactly fly up those either.

We lined up and I was surrounded by a lot of blue. I think all of our Hagerty women were out today in force. Julie Whalen from Grand Rapids area was also there, one of the women that I participated in the Ray's Women's Weekend with. It was great to see her and and the other women out to race!

A few Lady Hags before the race. 
We lined up at the start, and I was behind Susan Vigland and Bridget Widrig, thinking these were perfect tires to be behind.  I was behind them for about 5 seconds! Ha. At the start I watched a lot of women pedal away, and one person next to me hit the fencing and went down. I trudged through and ran up Willpower Hill and got out to the neighborhood and tried to hammer it as hard as I could to make up some time. As I entered the trails again, I was doing ok, and hoping to see someone ahead sometime soon. I then followed behind two men who took a wrong turn. Doubling back, I jumped back on the single track as quick as I could. Amy Jenema was near me at this point, and we headed into the highwaters area of single track, where we saw Lauri Brockmiller down, and who told us we weren't too far behind and to go!

Amy and I rode together for awhile, until going up the gravel hill past the bridge her chain gave her trouble. I had just started recovering a bit from the start and started to feel stronger. I kept going and not too long after Lauri caught up to me. I was surprised to see her as she looked like she was out of the race when I saw her. Down, but definitely not out! After endo'ing her bike, and nursing some good injuries, she was hauling ass. I rode with Lauri for awhile until her chain fell off. Trying to beat the odds, I kept on going. I did ok on a lot of the single track. I am still slow, but I was able to maneuver through it without falling or having to unclip. That in itself is a big improvement for me! There were a lot of guys through the single track right on my wheel, which stresses me out, so I would move over and let them go by.

At some point I got off the single track, and was supposed to take a sharp right, but didn't see the sign and followed the same guy who led me astray the first time down the wrong way. This time it took out a LOT more time. Lauri had seen me going the wrong way and shouted my name and a warning, but I didn't catch it. After heading down a sandy hill and noticing there were no other bike tire tracks, I told the two guys who went down that way we were going the wrong way and I had to walk my bike back up the sandy two track and get back on the route.

Lauri was long gone now, I just did the best I could to hammer it out for the rest of the ride on any of the flats. I was feeling good and pretty strong. Two guys were drafting each other and I caught on their wheel for awhile. Between them having to pass people though and going pretty fast, I didn't hang on as long as I would have liked, but it was fun while it lasted.

After Timber Ridge I saw Amy Jenema again ahead of me. The last few hills coming into Mt. Holiday were killer on my legs, but I pushed through and came ripping down the hill so fast through the sand that I almost couldn't stay on the route. I went through the mud pit at the end and was happy to call it a day! I finished 10th. I feel that I had a good race, despite the few setbacks I had. Racing is a lot about luck, as this race proved for many.

Johanna Schmidt held onto her reign as champion, Susan Vigland came in second, and Julie Whalen came in third!  Special kudos goes to Michele Howard who stopped her race to help John Leach of Einstein Cycling. John had a spill and once again she stuck by the side of someone with a head injury until help arrived. Great job to everyone who raced! For full race results click here.

Kandace Chapple added 1 mile to her race after getting lost in the woods with 20 other racers;
Cassy Stone also did an endo; and I went off route two times. Still smiling at the end!



 






No comments:

Post a Comment