Monday, February 20, 2012

100 Year Old Sets Cycling Record

100 Year Old Sets Cycling Record

"I could have gone faster, but I didn't want to" is the statement made by 100 year old Robert Marchand after setting the world record for riding one hour in an indoor track, in the first ever "100 and up" category. Three things come to my mind about this that inspire me. The first is the obvious one that he could actually do this, and it gives me remote hope that I may be cycling in my 100's someday. Two is that cyclist(s) still talk smack in their 100's (is there more than one?). Three is that his legs look great, and I wonder if he still shaves them regularly? Seriously, kudos to Robert, for this incredible achievement.

On the home front I have been trying to stick to a good regime as I get my strength back up and am getting healthy again. It feels great to not be sick!  I finished my recovery week on the trainer, and continued strength training. I also signed up for my first road race of the season, the West Michigan Stage Race. I am really looking forward to this race as they have combined women's Cat 3/4 together, so it will be my first time racing along with Cat 3 women. I am excited to have a road race on the not-so-distant horizon! There is also a Time Trial and a Crit during the weekend, so it will be a great way to start the road season. I am also signed up for  Mud, Sweat, and Beers on May 5, where I will be racing Expert for the first time. This is a great local mountain bike race to benefit Mt. Holiday, and it features my favorite trail, the VASA.

With actual races on the calendar, it is helping me start thinking twice about that extra cookie, and I am realizing it is time to back on track about losing that winter weight that I swore I would not gain back again. I try not to take everything too seriously, but racing is a nice incentive for me to live a healthy lifestyle.  Heck, perhaps even healthy enough that I could be cycling into my 80s, 90s, and 100s.

No comments:

Post a Comment