Sunday, February 5, 2012

february is full of surprises

The roads are CLEAR! They are free from snow and ice, so I made it a goal to get out and RIDE this weekend. Saturday I went out on a road ride with two fellow woman riders. We all spoke about how wonderful it felt to be moving while pedaling, stretched our legs, stood up, and soaked in the wonderfulness of it all. We rode the TNR loop on the peninsula, but cut off the lighthouse, so did about 35 miles and rode around 2 hours. It was a beautiful day.  The sun was out, it was 45 degrees, and I hoped that the circle of skin showing around my face was getting some sunlight and Vitamin D while riding. I was very warm, except for my feet (despite wearing booties over my shoes and wool socks).  Clear weather again for Sunday, when I met a small group of people and we rode out to Cedar, did a loop, and returned. It was colder, 38 degrees, and cloudy, so not quite as nice. Roads were still dry though, and the riders mostly rode single file, and were quiet. It was a reminder to me of how meditative cycling can be. After settling into a rythym, my gaze softened as I watched the tire and the back of the person in front of me and the blur of the road whizzing by underneath. Once this happens, the other worries in my life seem to start to blur as well, and not seem as important or consuming. I usually have a good few deep breaths that clears out some more junk, and start to feel at peace. This is what I love about cycling. It was a long ride though, and I was ready to get home after about 30 miles. My shoulders and back ached from lack of use over the winter- my hands, feet, and everything else pretty much were damn cold. Like a horse heading back to the barn, once I recognized where we were and knew we were close to home, I had a hard time staying below 18 mph. After I got home, I scarfed down lots of food and took such a long hot shower that I almost ran out of hot water. It felt great though, and I love that I got in over 70 miles of riding outside in a weekend in February.

The next surprise, after checking into my huge Facebook addiction, was I found that I was featured as the "Surprise Rider of the Year" in an article by Cody Sovis for Northern Motion Magazine, produced by the Grand Traverse Mountain Bike Association.
http://issuu.com/gtmtba/docs/northern_motion_winter_2012/21
Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I hardly know envy in my life, as it is pretty great; but after reading the above paragraph made me feel like something is seriously missing in my life right about now!! I'm happy somebody is riding, because it isn't me!

    ReplyDelete